Cheesy Ham Potato Soup – creamy, cheesy soup filled with potatoes, carrots, ham, and peas. It’s a big bowl of comfort!
I’ve been making soup almost daily since the temperature dropped below 80 degrees. Soup season is my favorite time of year.
This Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is a serious bowl of comfort. It’s potatoes, carrots, ham, and peas in a creamy cheesy soup.
It’s a quick soup to make and I love that I have almost all the ingredients on hand at all times.
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Cheddar cheese
- Thick sliced ham
- Frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions
- Cook onion and carrots in olive oil in a large soup pot about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds
- Add potatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil and cook about 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate skillet; whisk in flour until pasty.
- Slowly whisk in milk and cook for about 2 minutes, until thickened
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted
- When potatoes are tender, add milk mixture to the potato mixture and stir to combine
- Add ham and frozen peas; cook until peas are heated through
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve hot with more cheddar cheese and sliced green onions on top
How Long Is It Good For?
This Cheesy Ham Potato Soup will be good for up to 4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
To reheat, you can use the stove or the microwave. If it seems too thick, add more chicken broth until it reaches the original consistency.
Can You Freeze It?
No, I don’t recommend freezing it. I feel like dairy-based soups change texture when frozen. Also, potatoes can change texture in the freeze as well.
If you must freeze it, try to enjoy it as soon as possible to avoid the texture changes. It will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- Shrimp Curry Noodle Soup
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups thick sliced ham, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cheddar cheese and sliced green onions, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender, 10 - 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt butter over medium heat in a separate skillet. Whisk in flour until pasty and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk.
- Once potatoes are tender, add milk mixture to the potato mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes, until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted.
- Once potatoes are tender, add milk mixture to potato mixture and stir to combine. Add ham and peas and cook until peas are heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheddar and sliced green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 673mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g