Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup – quick and easy dinner the whole family will love! Creamy soup filled with chicken, potato gnocchi, carrots, and spinach.
I have been making soup nonstop the last few weeks.
This one is a favorite in my house. It’s rich and creamy with chicken, potato gnocchi, fresh spinach, and carrots. It all cooks in the same pot and I can have it ready in just over 30 minutes.
I do recommend doubling it if you live with more than a couple people and want leftovers!
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Unsalted butter
- White onion
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Heavy cream
- Better than bouillon, chicken flavor
- Potato gnocchi
- Green onions
- Cook seasoned and diced chicken breasts in olive oil; remove to a plate
- Melt butter in the same pot; add diced onion and shredded carrots and cook until softened
- Add garlic and cook just 30 seconds
- Whisk in flour until it becomes a paste; cook about 1 minute
- Whisk in milk and heavy cream
- Add better than bouillon and stir to combine
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes
- Add spinach, gnocchi, and cooked chicken
- Bring to a simmer and cook according to the gnocchi package instructions (mine was about 3 minutes)
How Long Is Chicken Gnocchi Soup Good For?
This soup will be good for up to 3 – 4 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
It will likely thicken the longer it sits but adding some chicken broth or even water when you reheat it will help to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Freeze Chicken Gnocchi Soup?
I don’t recommend freezing this soup.
Dairy based soups tend to change texture when frozen and thawed. Plus, the gnocchi will also change texture. It just won’t be as tasty if you try to freeze it.
More Soup Recipes
- Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- Shrimp Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp chicken better than bouillon
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- green onions, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the hot oil in the pot and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Lower heat to medium. Melt butter in the same pot. Add onion and shredded carrot. Cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Whisk in flour until the mixture is pasty. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream. Add better than bouillon and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook until thickened, just a couple minutes.
- Add spinach, gnocchi, and cooked chicken. Cover and let simmer according to the gnocchi package instructions (mine said 3 - 4 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g