Skip takeout and make Black Pepper Chicken at home! Stir-fried chicken and vegetables in a spicy and savory sauce. Serve it over rice for an easy and delicious 30 minute dinner!
Making our takeout orders at home is one of my favorite things to do for dinner. It’s cheaper and so much healthier than having it delivered. Plus, you can adjust it to suit your family.
This Black Pepper Chicken is one of my go to Chinese food orders. It’s stir-fried chicken with red onion and celery all coated in a delicious savory and spicy sauce.
Serve it over hot rice with a little extra sauce drizzled over top and it’s just like takeout!
- Canola oil – you want a high heat cooking oil so olive oil won’t cut it here. You can use avocado oil or peanut oil if you don’t want to use canola.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer
- Red onion
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Rice vinegar – this can be found in the Asian foods section in any large grocery store
- Black pepper – how much you use depends on how spicy you want your chicken!
- Ground ginger
- Cook chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Toss chicken with cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Shake off excess cornstarch and add chicken to the hot pan. Stir fry chicken 5 – 6 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Cook vegetables. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil in the same skillet. Add sliced onion and celery. Stir fry 5 – 6 minutes, until vegetables have softened.
- Make sauce. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, honey, rice vinegar, black pepper, and ground ginger.
- Assemble. Once vegetables have softened, return chicken to skillet and add sauce. Cook until sauce has thickened, only another 1 – 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve. Serve over cooked rice.
What To Serve With It?
I like to serve cooked Jasmine rice with Black Pepper Chicken. I think the dish already has enough veggies but if you want more, steamed broccoli or green beans would be delicious.
If you want the full takeout experience, Spicy Coconut Wonton Soup is a must!
How Long Is It Good For?
Black Pepper Chicken is fine in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container – these glass airtight containers are my favorite for leftovers.
I recommend reheating in the microwave or stovetop. If the sauce has thickened too much, some chicken broth or water will help to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze this Black Pepper Chicken for up to 3 months. Let it cool down completely and then place it in a freezer-safe airtight container – I would use a freezer ziploc bag.
When you are ready to serve it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More Chicken Recipes
- One Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken and Noodles
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Stuffed Shells
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons black pepper, depending on how spicy you want it
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Toss chicken with cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Shake off excess cornstarch and add chicken to the hot pan. Stir fry chicken 5 - 6 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil in the same skillet. Add sliced onion and celery. Stir fry 5 - 6 minutes, until vegetables have softened.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, honey, rice vinegar, black pepper, and ground ginger.
- Once vegetables have softened, return chicken to skillet and add sauce. Cook until sauce has thickened, only another 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1366mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g