Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is your new favorite takeout fakeout! Chicken breasts cooked in a sweet and slightly spicy sauce and served over rice!
How much are you loving slow cooker dinners during this weird back to school time?
Some nights the only reason we have dinner on the table is because I took 15 minutes in the morning to toss it all in the slow cooker.
This is a current favorite because the only thing I have to buy for it is chicken breasts. Everything else is already in the fridge or pantry! Plus, it takes me about 10 minutes to get it ready to go.
And did I mention my kids love it?! Just serve this teriyaki chicken with rice and a side of roasted broccoli or green beans and dinner is done!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – you can use thighs if you prefer
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger – you can use about 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger instead of the ground ginger
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cornstarch – used to thicken the sauce
- Put chicken in slow cooker; top with sliced onion and minced garlic
- Whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes; pour over chicken
- Let slow cook on high for 4 hours
- Whisk cornstarch into cold water and pour into sauce; stir to combine
- Shred chicken and stir to coat with the sauce
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve over rice with sliced green onions on top
I love my Crockpot Multicooker because it functions as a slow cooker and a pressure cooker and if you know anything about me, you know I hate having a bunch of different appliances in my kitchen.
This recipe calls for slow cooking the chicken and then turning on the saute function to thicken the sauce and the Crockpot Multicooker does both.
Can You Freeze Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes! If you have a lot of leftovers, you can freeze them for later.
Let the chicken cool completely and then transfer to a freezer ziploc bag, making sure to squeeze out as much as as possible. The chicken will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, let sit in the refrigerator overnight and then you can reheat in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. If the sauce is too thick, a splash of chicken broth should help to loose it up.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie Cups
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Stuffed Shells
- Cashew Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo French Bread Pizza
- Apple Mustard Chicken Tenders
Follow me on Pinterest for even more!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- rice, for serving
- sliced green onions, for serving
- Place chicken in bowl of slow cooker. Put sliced onion and minced garlic on top.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken and veggies.
- Let cook on high for 4 hours.
- When the chicken is done, whisk the cornstarch into about 3 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl. Add this to the chicken if you're using a slow cooker that has a saute function. If not, transfer the chicken to a pot, bring it to a simmer, and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Let cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Shred the chicken and toss to coat in the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over rice with sliced green onions on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 38g