A simple dinner the whole family will love! Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is a cheesy chicken casserole topped with crispy bacon, more cheese, and tater tots! And then it’s baked until bubbly and delicious.
My kids are obsessed with ranch. A few days ago, the 9 year old sent the entire family a TikTok of someone putting shredded cheese and ranch in instant noodles and the next day, everyone had instant noodles with cheese and ranch for lunch. They loved it.
So I know any recipe that includes ranch is going to be a hit with them.
This Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is a twist on the classic tater tot casserole. It’s a saucy, cheesy mixture of chicken, cheese, ranch dressing, and bacon topped with tater tots, more cheese, and more bacon!
Everyone loved it and I loved how easy it is!
- Cooked chicken – you can cook your own chicken or make life easier and buy a rotisserie chicken!
- Cream of chicken soup – you can use the fat free kind if you prefer
- Sour cream
- dry ranch seasoning mix
- Black pepper
- Colby Jack cheese – you can use cheddar cheese if that’s what you have on hand
- Frozen tater tots
- Green onions – optional, for topping
- Mix together shredded chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, dry ranch seasoning mix, black pepper, and 1 cup of Colby Jack cheese
- Spread mixture into a 9×13-inch pan sprayed with oil
- Sprinkle half of the bacon on top
- Arrange tater tots on top
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining bacon and the green onions before serving
Can You Make It Ahead?
You can totally prep this one ahead by making the chicken mixture the night before (or morning of!) and spreading it into the 9×13-inch pan sprayed with oil. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
When you are ready to bake it, top it with the bacon and tater tots and baking as instructed.
Can You Freeze Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole! Assemble it in a freezer-safe container and freeze up to 3 months. I wouldn’t add any bacon until I was ready to bake it because I’m afraid it would get soggy but you can if that doesn’t bother you.
When you’re ready to bake it, you can either defrost in the fridge overnight and bake as instructed or bake from frozen and add an extra 10 minutes or so to the baking time.
How Long Is It Good For?
This Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is good for about 3 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container (these are my favorite containers!) to keep it as fresh as possible.
And keep in mind that the tater tots will get soggy the longer they sit in the fridge.
The best way to reheat them is in the oven so the tots get crispy again but the microwave works fine too if you don’t mind them being a bit soft.
What To Serve with Tater Tot Casserole?
I’m a big fan of anything green with tater tot casserole, like a simple side salad or maybe Green Beans Almondine.
Or if your family is obsessed with ranch like mine, Ranch Glazed Carrots would be delicious!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Pot Pie Cups
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning mix
- black pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 5 cups frozen tater tots
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together shredded chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, dry ranch seasoning mix, black pepper, and 1 cup Colby Jack cheese until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread to the sides.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Arrange tater tots on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese and return to oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining bacon and the green onions before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 968mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g